Thread: Application.Screenupdating = False Not Working In Workbooks().Activate In Windows 8

Application.Screenupdating = False Not Working In Workbooks().Activate In Windows 8

I have VBA code that works under windows 7 and excel 2013. It sets application.screenupdating to false just before every windows (filename).activate function. When I tried the same code on excel 2013, but Windows 8 the application.screenupdating = false stopped working only on the Windows or workbooks activate functions. I have tried the following currentflag = application.screenupdating and currentflag shows false. I tried debug.print application.screenupdating and it showed true in the debugger. To make sure that each change was not effected by the debugger. I turned off the debugger and tried the same code and it flickers between the books. Any ideas?

Application.ScreenUpdating will always show True in the debug window. But that shouldn't alter the way it works when a routine / function is run. To evaluate this better, can you post a sample file which replicates the scenarios you explained above?
    A dream is not something you see when you are asleep, but something you strive for when you are awake.

It's usually a bad idea to say that something can't be done.

The difference between dream and aim, is that one requires soundless sleep to see and the other requires sleepless efforts to achieve

Join us at Facebook

In addition, if the workbooks are in the same instance, then try using Workbooks().Activate instead of Windows().Activate.
    A dream is not something you see when you are asleep, but something you strive for when you are awake.

The difference between dream and aim, is that one requires soundless sleep to see and the other requires sleepless efforts to achieve

Join us at Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Excel Fox View Post
    In addition, if the workbooks are in the same instance, then try using Workbooks().Activate instead of Windows().Activate.
    I already tried using Workbooks versus Windows and there was no difference, however the instance idea is interesting. How do I open 2 workbooks in separate instances versus the same instance. How will I know which mode I am in?

You can open another instance of Excel just how you would open the first instance.

Regarding the code itself, what exactly are you trying to do? Can you post a sample file, and show us what the issue is?

Join us at Facebook

I found the problem. Windows 8 treats changing instances diferently than Windows 7 and XP. Office 2010 require different file open to create different instances. It's native mode was open in the same instance. Office 2013 forces each workbook into it's own instance. However Windows 8 treats switching instances diferently. Windows 8 ignores the screenupdating = false when it goes between instances. How do I force office 2013 to start a workbook in the current instance?