Simple Array Bubble Sort Example with Range.Sort Equivalent

Coding in support of this excelfox Thread:
    llkslksjjsjfaslkjflkajflkjflfjj later sajfsladj

Code:
    Option Explicit

'
    ' Range.Sort Example
    Sub RangeSortExample()
     range("G13:K19").Sort Key1:=range("G13:K19").Columns("B:B"), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=range("G13:K19").Columns("D:D"), order2:=xlAscending, MatchCase:=False, Key3:=range("G13:K19").Columns("E:E"), order3:=xlDescending, MatchCase:=False
    End Sub ' Matchcase:=False '

' Simplist Sort
    Sub SimpleArraySort()
    Rem 0 test data, worksheets info
    Dim WsS As Worksheet: Set WsS = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sorting")
    Dim RngToSort As range: Set RngToSort = WsS.range("A2:B9")
    ' alternative:
    ' Set RngToSort = Selection '                          ' Selection.JPG : https://imgur.com/HnCdBt8
    Dim arrTS() As Variant: Let arrTS() = RngToSort.Value ' We would have to use  .Value  for a range capture of this sort because  .Value  returns a field of Variant types.  But also at this stage we want to preserve string and number types
    Dim arrOut() As Variant: Let arrOut() = arrTS() ' could simply use the original array and sort that
    ' column to be used for determining order of rows sorted array: the values in this column will be looked at
    Dim Clm As Long: Let Clm = 1
    Rem 1 Simple Bubble Sort
    Dim rOuter As Long ' ========"Left Hand"=====================Outer Loop=====================================
        For rOuter = 1 To UBound(arrTS(), 1) - 1 ' For row 1 to the (last row -1)  last row, given by the first dimension upper limit of the array
        Dim rInner As Long ' -------Inner Loop-------------"Right Hand"--------------------------
            For rInner = rOuter + 1 To UBound(arrOut(), 1)
                'If arrOut(rOuter, Clm) > arrOut(rInner, Clm) Then           ' This means that I am bigger than the next. So I will swap . I keep doing this which will have the effect of putting the smallest in the current rOuter. By the this and all next rOuter, I miss out the last, and any previous, which means I effectively do the same which puts the next smallest in this next rOuter.
                If UCase(CStr(arrOut(rOuter, Clm))) > UCase(CStr(arrOut(rInner, Clm))) Then
                Dim Temp As Variant ' I want to Swap those 2 above - I cant easilly in any coding change two values simulataneosly. So one of them Element values will put in this temporary place. This Element Values will then be given the other. Finally the other Element will be given this temporary value
                Dim Clms As Long '-------| with the condition met  a loop is done for all columns in the array in which those two values used in the comparison are replaced at each column
                    For Clms = 1 To UBound(arrOut(), 2)
                     Let Temp = arrOut(rOuter, Clms): Let arrOut(rOuter, Clms) = arrOut(rInner, Clms): Let arrOut(rInner, Clms) = Temp
                    Next Clms '----------| for each column in the array at the two rows rOuter and rInner
                Else
                End If
            Next rInner ' ---------------------------------------------------------------------
        Next rOuter ' ===========================================================================================
    Rem 2 Output for easy of demo
     RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count).Clear                     ' WsS.Columns("C:D").Clear ' CHANGE TO SUIT
     Let RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count).Value = arrOut
     Let RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count).Interior.Color = vbYellow
    End Sub
    ' Approximate equivalent to the above routune, using VBA Range.Sort Method '  https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/office/vba/api/excel.range.sort
    Sub Range_Sort()
    ' alternative:
    ' Set RngToSort = Selection '                          ' Selection.JPG : https://imgur.com/HnCdBt8
    Rem 1 For demo purposes we will sort a copy of the range
     RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 2).Clear                                                ' WsS.Columns("E:F").Clear ' CHANGE TO SUIT
     RngToSort.Copy Destination:=RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 2)
     Dim RngCopy As range: Set RngCopy = RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 2)
     RngCopy.Sort Key1:=RngCopy.Columns("A:A"), Order1:=xlAscending, MatchCase:=False
    '
     Let RngCopy.Interior.Color = vbGreen
    End Sub
    Typical results:
    The sorted array is displayed in the spreadsheet along side the original range used as test data for the inputted array. ( The yellow highlighted range is that produced by the array sort routine, Sub SimpleArraySort() , and the green highlighted range is that produced by the VBA Range.Sort method routine, Sub Range_Sort()
    More examples in next post.

_____ ( Using Excel 2007 32 bit )
    Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    c WasB2 A WasB5 A WasB5
    AB WasB3 Aa WasB4 Aa WasB4
    Aa WasB4 AB WasB3 AB WasB3
    A WasB5 B WasB7 B WasB7
    C WasB6 b WasB8 b WasB8
    B WasB7 bcde WasB9 bcde WasB9
    b WasB8 C WasB6 c WasB2
    bcde WasB9 c WasB2 C WasB6
    Worksheet: Sorting
    ….If you are my competitor, I will try all I can to beat you. But if I do, I will not belittle you. I will Salute you, because without you, I am nothing.
    If you are my enemy, we will try to kick the fucking shit out of you…..
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Fuhrer, Vierte Reich DocAElstein's Avatar
    Further Examples using the routines from the previous post
    The sorted array is displayed in the spreadsheet along side the original range used as test data for the inputted array. ( The yellow highlighted range is that produced by the array sort routine, Sub SimpleArraySort() , and the green highlighted range is that produced by the VBA Range.Sort method routine, Sub Range_Sort()

Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    c WasB2
    WasB8
    WasB7
    AB WasB3
    WasB7
    WasB8
    Aa WasB4 A WasB5 A WasB5
    A WasB5 Aa WasB4 Aa WasB4
    C WasB6 AB WasB3 AB WasB3
    WasB7 bcde WasB9 bcde WasB9
    WasB8 C WasB6 c WasB2

To reverse this to descending so that things “get smaller as you go down the rows”, you simply need to change
    the > to a < in the array routine
    and
    the Order1:=xlAscending to Order1:=xlDescending in the VBA Range.Sort routine
    Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    c WasB2 c WasB2 c WasB2
    AB WasB3 C WasB6 C WasB6
    Aa WasB4 bcde WasB9 bcde WasB9
    A WasB5 AB WasB3 AB WasB3
    C WasB6 Aa WasB4 Aa WasB4
    WasB7 A WasB5 A WasB5
    WasB8
    WasB7
    WasB8
    bcde WasB9
    WasB8
    WasB7

I intended developing the solution into a function, so as a start to this, the routine will be modified to take an Optional argument of 0 or 1 , with the default of 0 being the case for an Ascending list. I am not being particularly efficient with the coding, and will duplicate sections.

A full routine is posted in the next post
    ….If you are my competitor, I will try all I can to beat you. But if I do, I will not belittle you. I will Salute you, because without you, I am nothing.
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Simpla Array Bubble Sort Program allowing for Ascending or Descending order

The last routine, Sub TestieSimpleArraySort(), has a section dupilcated to allow for selection of a final list sorted in Ascending or descending order.
    If supplied 0, or , no GlLl argument is given, then the final list should be sorted in Ascending order

Code:
    ' Simplist Sort2
    Sub TestieSimpleArraySort2()
     Call SimpleArraySort2(0)
    End Sub
    '
    Sub SimpleArraySort2(Optional ByVal GlLl As Long)
    ' alternative:
    Dim arrTS() As Variant: Let arrTS() = RngToSort.Value ' We would have to use  .Value  for a range capture of this sort because  .Value  returns a field of Variant types.  But also at this stage we want to preserve string and number types
    Dim arrOut() As Variant: Let arrOut() = arrTS() ' could simply use the original array and sort that
    ' column to be used for determining order of rows sorted array: the values in this column will be looked at
    Rem 1 Simple Bubble Sort
    Dim rOuter As Long ' ========"Left Hand"=====================Outer Loop=====================================
        For rOuter = 1 To UBound(arrTS(), 1) - 1 ' For row 1 to the (last row -1)  last row, given by the first dimension upper limit of the array
        Dim rInner As Long ' -------Inner Loop-------------"Right Hand"--------------------------
                'If arrOut(rOuter, Clm) > arrOut(rInner, Clm) Then           ' This means that I am bigger than the next. So I will swap . I keep doing this which will have the effect of putting the smallest in the current rOuter. By the this and all next rOuter, I miss out the last, and any previous, which means I effectively do the same which puts the next smallest in this next rOuter.
                If GlLl = 0 Then ' We want Ascending list
                    'If UCase(CStr(arrOut(rOuter, Clm))) > UCase(CStr(arrOut(rInner, Clm))) Then
                    Dim temp As Variant ' I want to Swap those 2 above - I cant easilly in any coding change two values simulataneosly. So one of them Element values will put in this temporary place. This Element Values will then be given the other. Finally the other Element will be given this temporary value
                    Dim Clms As Long '-------| with the condition met  a loop is done for all columns in the array in which those two values used in the comparison are replaced at each column
                         Let temp = arrOut(rOuter, Clms): Let arrOut(rOuter, Clms) = arrOut(rInner, Clms): Let arrOut(rInner, Clms) = temp
                        Next Clms '----------| for each column in the array at the two rows rOuter and rInner
                    Else
                    End If
                Else ' GlLl is not 0 , so presumably we want Descending list
                    If UCase(CStr(arrOut(rOuter, Clm))) < UCase(CStr(arrOut(rInner, Clm))) Then
                    'Dim temp As Variant ' I want to Swap those 2 above - I cant easilly in any coding change two values simulataneosly. So one of them Element values will put in this temporary place. This Element Values will then be given the other. Finally the other Element will be given this temporary value
                    'Dim Clms As Long '-------| with the condition met  a loop is done for all columns in the array in which those two values used in the comparison are replaced at each column
                         Let temp = arrOut(rOuter, Clms): Let arrOut(rOuter, Clms) = arrOut(rInner, Clms): Let arrOut(rInner, Clms) = temp
                    Else
                    End If
                End If ' End of Ascending or Descending example
            Next rInner ' ---------------------------------------------------------------------
        Next rOuter ' ===========================================================================================
     RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count).Clear                     ' WsS.Columns("C:D").Clear ' CHANGE TO SUIT
     Let RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count).Value = arrOut()
    End Sub

Results for this callind procedure
    Code:
     Call SimpleArraySort2(0)
     Call SimpleArraySort
    End Sub
    '
    Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    c WasB2
    WasB8
    AB WasB3
    WasB7
    Aa WasB4 A WasB5
    A WasB5 Aa WasB4
    C WasB6 AB WasB3
    WasB7 bcde WasB9
    WasB8 C WasB6
    bcde WasB9 c WasB2

Results for this calling procedure
    Code:
     Call SimpleArraySort2(732847)
    End Sub
    '
    Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    c WasB2 c WasB2
    AB WasB3 C WasB6
    Aa WasB4 bcde WasB9
    A WasB5 AB WasB3
    C WasB6 Aa WasB4
    WasB7 A WasB5
    WasB8
    WasB7
    bcde WasB9
    WasB8
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Simple Array Bubble Sort Example working similar to VBA Range.Sort with one Key1:=

A further modification is done to the previous routines so that values that can be seen as numbers are compared as numbers in sorting. This is done so that, for example, a number like 46 would be seen as greater than 7. In previous routines, these would be compared as text values of "46" and "7". In a text comparison, the sort is done initially on the first character so that "4" would be seen as less that "7". ( The second character, "6", in this exampple is not used. A second character would only be used to sort if we had two values such as "46" and "49". In such an example VBA would place "49" above "46" for a text comparison

We find that the VBA Range.Sort Method sees text as text and numbers typically as numbers , and the final purpose of the routines we are developing in the associated main forum Thread is to do somethhing similar to the VBA Range.Sort Method

Code:
    '
    ' Simplist Sort3
    Sub TestieSimpleArraySort3()
     Call SimpleArraySort3(0)
    End Sub
    '
    Sub SimpleArraySort3(Optional ByVal GlLl As Long)
    ' alternative:
    Rem 1 Simple Bubble Sort
                    If IsNumeric(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then ' Numeric case
                        'If arrOut(rOuter, Clm) > arrOut(rInner, Clm) Then' If both values are seen to be numeric then this line would probably work, but as "belt and braces" we do the next
                        If CDbl(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) > CDbl(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Dim temp As Variant ' I want to Swap those 2 above - I cant easilly in any coding change two values simulataneosly. So one of them Element values will put in this temporary place. This Element Values will then be given the other. Finally the other Element will be given this temporary value
                        Else
                        End If
                     Else ' Non numeric case
                        'Dim temp As Variant ' I want to Swap those 2 above - I cant easilly in any coding change two values simulataneosly. So one of them Element values will put in this temporary place. This Element Values will then be given the other. Finally the other Element will be given this temporary value
                        'Dim Clms As Long '-------| with the condition met  a loop is done for all columns in the array in which those two values used in the comparison are replaced at each column
                        Else
                        End If
                    End If ' End of numeric or text comparison
                    If IsNumeric(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        If CDbl(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) < CDbl(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Else
                        End If
                    Else ' non numeric case
                        Else
                        End If
    End Sub
    Final comparison results are shown in the next post
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

The sorted array is displayed in the spreadsheet along side the original range used as test data for the inputted array. ( The yellow highlighted range is that produced by the array sort routine, Sub SimpleArraySort3() , and the green highlighted range is that produced by the VBA Range.Sort method routine, Sub Range_Sort()

Ascending Order
    Code:
     Call SimpleArraySort3(0)
    End Sub
    '
    Code:
    Sub Range_Sort()
    ' alternative:
     RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 2).Clear                                                ' WsS.Columns("E:F").Clear ' CHANGE TO SUIT
     Dim RngCopy As range: Set RngCopy = RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 2)
     RngCopy.Sort Key1:=RngCopy.Columns("A:A"), Order1:=xlAscending, MatchCase:=False
     'RngCopy.Sort Key1:=RngCopy.Columns("A:A"), Order1:=xlDescending, MatchCase:=False
    End Sub
    Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    c WasB2
    WasB7
    WasB7
    AB WasB3
    WasB8
    WasB8
    Aa WasB4 A WasB5 A WasB5
    A WasB5 Aa WasB4 Aa WasB4
    C WasB6 AB WasB3 AB WasB3
    WasB7 bcde WasB9 bcde WasB9
    WasB8 C WasB6 c WasB2

Descending Order
    Code:
     Call SimpleArraySort3(2246)
    End Sub
    '
    Code:
    Sub Range_Sort()
    ' alternative:
     'RngCopy.Sort Key1:=RngCopy.Columns("A:A"), Order1:=xlAscending, MatchCase:=False
     RngCopy.Sort Key1:=RngCopy.Columns("A:A"), Order1:=xlDescending, MatchCase:=False
    End Sub
    Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    c WasB2 c WasB2 c WasB2
    AB WasB3 C WasB6 C WasB6
    Aa WasB4 bcde WasB9 bcde WasB9
    A WasB5 AB WasB3 AB WasB3
    C WasB6 Aa WasB4 Aa WasB4
    WasB7 A WasB5 A WasB5
    WasB8
    WasB8
    WasB8
    bcde WasB9
    WasB7
    WasB7
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

First step in turning Bubble Sort routine into function. Routine takes in an Array (ByRef) to sort

Code:
    '
    Sub TestieSimpleArraySort4()
    Dim RngToSort As Range: Set RngToSort = WsS.Range("A2:B9")
     Call SimpleArraySort4(arrTS(), 0)
    End Sub

Sub SimpleArraySort4(ByRef arrTS() As Variant, Optional ByVal GlLl As Long)
    ' alternative:
    ' Dim arrTS() As Variant: Let arrTS() = RngToSort.Value ' We would have to use  .Value  for a range capture of this sort because  .Value  returns a field of Variant types.  But also at this stage we want to preserve string and number types
    Rem 1 Simple Bubble Sort
                    If IsNumeric(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then ' Numeric case
                        If CDbl(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) > CDbl(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Else
                        End If
                     Else ' Non numeric case
                        Else
                        End If
                    If IsNumeric(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        If CDbl(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) < CDbl(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Else
                        End If
                    Else ' non numeric case
                        Else
                        End If
     RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count).Clear
    End Sub

Because we are using ByRef , the previous testieing Calling routine can also use the original supplied array, arrTS() , after the main procedure Call , provided that the array taken in at the signature line is that sorted, as that will in effect be the same array and it will reflect the changes done to it.

Pseudo code ByRef ‘ ( Usually default option )
    varMyArray = x
    _ Call ReferToIt(varMyArray)
    Sub ReferToIt(ByRef arr)
    _ arr=y This is similar to saying varMyArray = y
    End

varMyArray is now = y ‘ because effectively varMyArray was in arr

Code:
    '
    Sub TestieSimpleArraySort4b()
     Call SimpleArraySort4b(arrTS(), 0)
     Let RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count).Value = arrTS()
    End Sub

Sub SimpleArraySort4b(ByRef arsRef() As Variant, Optional ByVal GlLl As Long)
    Rem 1 Simple Bubble Sort
        For rOuter = 1 To UBound(arsRef(), 1) - 1 ' For row 1 to the (last row -1)  last row, given by the first dimension upper limit of the array
            For rInner = rOuter + 1 To UBound(arsRef(), 1)
                    If IsNumeric(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then ' Numeric case
                        If CDbl(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) > CDbl(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Dim Temp As Variant ' I want to Swap those 2 above - I cant easilly in any coding change two values simulataneosly. So one of them Element values will put in this temporary place. This Element Values will then be given the other. Finally the other Element will be given this temporary value
                            For Clms = 1 To UBound(arsRef(), 2)
                             Let Temp = arsRef(rOuter, Clms): Let arsRef(rOuter, Clms) = arsRef(rInner, Clms): Let arsRef(rInner, Clms) = Temp
                        Else
                        End If
                     Else ' Non numeric case
                        If UCase(CStr(arsRef(rOuter, Clm))) > UCase(CStr(arsRef(rInner, Clm))) Then
                             Let Temp = arsRef(rOuter, Clms): Let arsRef(rOuter, Clms) = arsRef(rInner, Clms): Let arsRef(rInner, Clms) = Temp
                        Else
                        End If
                    If IsNumeric(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        If CDbl(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) < CDbl(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Else
                        End If
                    Else ' non numeric case
                        If UCase(CStr(arsRef(rOuter, Clm))) < UCase(CStr(arsRef(rInner, Clm))) Then
                        Else
                        End If
    End Sub

Initial Function for Simple Bubble Sort

In the routines
    Sub TestieSimpleArraySort5() and Function SimpleArraySort5(______) As Variant
    below , the main difference over the previous routines is the extra As Variant at the signature line, and finally a code line just before End Function of SimpleArraySort5 = arsRef()

In the testieing routine, we use codes line of this form in the conventional way in which a function is typically used.
    _ arrTS() = SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), _ 0 _ )
    But we note that by virtue of using ByRef a simple call would surfice
    _Call SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), _ 0 _ )

Note: we have added an extra testing code section '2b)
    In this extra section we fill a new array, arrDesc() , with the sorted array in Descending order. We use for demo purposes a typical function using code line
    _ arrDesc() = SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), 2136)
    Correspondingly we have a demo output giving code line
    _ RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 3).Value = arrDesc()

We note further, that this is somewhat redundant. This is because the code part SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), 2136) has the effect of re filling arrTS() with the newly sorted array by virtue of the use of ByRef in the signature line of the Function
    We could therefore simply use a code line like _..
    _Call SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), 357)
    _.. followed by an demo output giving line of
    _ RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 3).Value = arrTS()

Code:
    Sub TestieSimpleArraySort5()
     Call SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), 0)
     Let arrTS() = SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), 0)
    ' 2a) Ascending
    ' 2b) Descending ( using diiffernet variable )
    Dim arrDesc() As Variant
     Let arrDesc() = SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), 2136)
     RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 3).Clear
     Let RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 3).Value = arrDesc()
     Let RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 3).Value = arrTS() ' Because we use  ByRef  this would work after any normal  Call  of SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(),  )  The actual call we use  puts  the sorted array in arrTS()  The important bit is  SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(),  )  After this  arrTS()  with the newly sorted array by virtue of the use of ByRe in the signature line of this Function   has the effect of refilling  arrTS()  with the newly sorted in descending order values
     Let RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 3).Interior.Color = vbYellow
    End Sub

Function SimpleArraySort5(ByRef arsRef() As Variant, Optional ByVal GlLl As Long) As Variant
    Rem 1 Simple Bubble Sort
        For rOuter = 1 To UBound(arsRef(), 1) - 1 ' For row 1 to the (last row -1)  last row, given by the first dimension upper limit of the array
            For rInner = rOuter + 1 To UBound(arsRef(), 1)
                    If IsNumeric(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then ' Numeric case
                        If CDbl(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) > CDbl(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Else
                        End If
                     Else ' Non numeric case
                        If UCase(CStr(arsRef(rOuter, Clm))) > UCase(CStr(arsRef(rInner, Clm))) Then
                        Else
                        End If
                    If IsNumeric(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        If CDbl(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) < CDbl(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Else
                        End If
                    Else ' non numeric case
                        If UCase(CStr(arsRef(rOuter, Clm))) < UCase(CStr(arsRef(rInner, Clm))) Then
                        Else
                        End If
     Let SimpleArraySort5 = arsRef()
    End Function

In the next post are some typical test results for the above coding

Some typical resullts using the coding from the last post

Consider this test input range

Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    c WasB2
    AB WasB3
    Aa WasB4
    A WasB5
    C WasB6
    WasB7
    WasB8
    bcde WasB9

After running Sub TestieSimpleArraySort5() , you should see this:

Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    H
    I
    c WasB2
    WasB7 C WasB6
    AB WasB3
    WasB8 c WasB2
    Aa WasB4 A WasB5 bcde WasB9
    A WasB5 Aa WasB4 AB WasB3
    C WasB6 AB WasB3 Aa WasB4
    WasB7 bcde WasB9 A WasB5
    WasB8 C WasB6
    WasB8
    bcde WasB9 c WasB2
    WasB7

Final Demo of recursion array sort on multi coliumns

Take an example,
    A list of Foods, their name in first column and a few other things like calories(Kcal) and Salt content in other columns

First I want to sort to group similar products (based on alphabetical order, but ascending or descending is not important) - This will be sorting on column 1 values

Within similar food types, I want to list them in an order of how healthy they might be, ( or at least in the order of least unhealthy ) .
    Most important would be order starting with lowest Kcal.
    After that for similar products with similar Kcal , we would consider the minimum salt content as likely to be the less unhealthy.

This might be our list
    Row\Col
    R
    S
    T
    U
    V
    W
    Food Product Was S22 Kcal Was U22 Salt Was W22
    Crisps Was S23
    Was U23
    Was W23
    Beer Was S24
    Was U24
    Was W24
    Wine Was S25
    Was U25
    Was W25
    Beer Was S26
    Was U26
    Was W26
    beer Was S27
    Was U27
    Was W27
    Beer Was S28
    Was U28
    Was W28
    Wine Was S29
    Was U29
    Was W29
    wiNe Was S30
    Was U30
    Was W30
    Crisps Was S31
    Was U31
    Was W31
    Onion Ringes Was S32
    Was U32
    Was W32
    Onion Ringes Was S33
    Was U33
    Was W33
    Crisps Was S34
    Was U34
    Was W34
    CRISPS Was S35
    Was U35
    Was W35
    Wine Was S36
    Was U36
    Was W36
    Crisps Was S37
    Was U37
    Was W37

Here is a demo Calling test routine

Code:
    Sub TestieSimpleArraySort6()
    Dim RngToSort As Range: Set RngToSort = WsS.Range("R23:W37")
    ' Call SimpleArraySort6(1, arrTS(), " 1 2 3 4 5 ", " 1 Asc 2 Asc 3 Asc")
    Dim cnt As Long, strIndcs As String: Let strIndcs = " "
        For cnt = 1 To RngToSort.Rows.Count
         Let strIndcs = strIndcs & cnt & " "
        Next cnt
    Debug.Print strIndcs ' For 5 rows , for example we will have  " 1 2 3 4 5 " , for 15 rows  " 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 "
     Call SimpleArraySort6(1, arrTS(), strIndcs, " 1 Desc 3 Asc 5 Asc")
    ' 2a
    ' 2b VBA Range.Sort Method equivalent
    Dim TestRngSrt As Range: Set TestRngSrt = RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 2)
     TestRngSrt.Clear
     Let TestRngSrt.Value = RngToSort.Value
     TestRngSrt.Sort Key1:=TestRngSrt.Columns("A:A"), order1:=xlDescending, Key2:=TestRngSrt.Columns("C:C"), order2:=xlAscending, Key3:=TestRngSrt.Columns("E:E"), order3:=xlAscending
     TestRngSrt.Interior.Color = vbGreen
    End Sub
    '
    That above routine uses the test range R23:W37 above and feeds that to the main recursion routine below in the next post. The demo routine also does the VBA Range.Sort equivalent code line