Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Delete rows based on match criteria in two excel files or single Excel File

I would like to notify something about this macro and about this post
    in this macro
    Code:
    Let Lr2 = Ws2.Range("A" & Ws2.Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row   ' it will be ws1, not ws2 bcoz by using ws1 i am getting correct output

plz have a look to the sample file & macro too...
    Problem is Solved according to me But any more suugesstion is welcome
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuhrer, Vierte Reich DocAElstein's Avatar
    Hi

You change may work sometimes, but sometimes with different data it might not work.
    In any case it is a stupid thing to do….
    Let me explain…
    It should be very, very simple to understand:
    Consider your uploaded files ….
    The range that you search in is in Ws2 (H2(SAMPLE).xlsb ) . Your data goes up to row 36
    36 comes from
    Let Lr2 = Ws2.Range("A" & Ws2.Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row

You take each data from Ws1 (1(sample) ) and look in that range for a match. You have data in Ws1 up to 142
    142 comes from
    Let Lr1 = Ws1.Range("A" & Ws1.Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row

That above is all correct. It is as it should be.

If you use
    Let Lr2 = Ws1.Range("A" & Ws1.Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row
    then you search in the range up to 142 in Ws2

As long as Lr1 is larger than Lr2 then it may work. But your macro may work slower, because you are searching in extra cells that are empty. You do not need to search in empty rows
    If Lr1 is less than Lr2, then your macro may not work.

Let me try to explain again , with example of smaller data :
    Lets say you have 3 lines of data ( 4 rows ) in Ws2, and 10 rows in Ws1
    If you use Lr2 = Ws2.Range("A" & Ws2.Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row , then you will search in this range
    _____ Workbook: H2(SAMPLE).xlsb ( Using Excel 2007 32 bit )
    Row\Col A
    2 ADANIPOWER
    3 AMARAJABAT
    4 ASIANPAINT
    Worksheet: Sheet2

If you use this Lr2 = Ws1.Range("A" & Ws1.Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row , then you will search in the range
    Row\Col A
    2 ADANIPOWER
    3 AMARAJABAT
    4 ASIANPAINT

So there will be no problems , but you are searching over a greater range than you need. So this might make your macro run slower, since you search more rows than you need to.

But now consider another example : Consider that your data in Ws2 has 7 rows, but there are only 3 rows of data in Ws1
    If you use this Lr2 = Ws2.Range("A" & Ws2.Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row , then you will search in this range
    Row\Col A
    2 ADANIPOWER
    3 AMARAJABAT
    4 ASIANPAINT
    5 AMBUJACEM
    6 APOLLOHOSP
    7 APOLLOPIPE

So you will search as you should in all values in Ws2

But if you use this Lr2 = Ws1.Range("A" & Ws1.Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row , then you will be searching over this reduced range:
    Row\Col A
    2 ADANIPOWER
    3 AMARAJABAT

So you are not searching in all the values in Ws2, so you may get the wrong results!

You may choose to use Ws1 instead of Ws2. It is your choice. This will help you Fail in the future when sometimes later you will get the wrong results:
    It may fail sometimes if there are more rows of data in Ws2 then in Ws1.
    If it does not fail, the macro may work slower then it needs to , because it is searching in cells that it does not need to.

Alan
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 07-17-2020 at 02:22 PM.
    ….If you are my competitor, I will try all I can to beat you. But if I do, I will not belittle you. I will Salute you, because without you, I am nothing.
    If you are my enemy, we will try to kick the fucking shit out of you…..
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Plz run this macro Doc sir & Plz see the output
    This is the updated macro which u have provided Doc Sir & i sent u the sample file today plz run & see the output u will understand (This macro is not giving me the desired output)
    Code:
    Sub STEP3() '  https://excelfox.com/forum/showthread.php/2364-Delete-rows-based-on-match-criteria-in-two-excel-files?p=14587&viewfull=1#post14587    https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=34937
    Dim Wb1 As Workbook, Wb2 As Workbook
    Set Wb1 = Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\WolfieeeStyle\Desktop\1.xls")
    Set Wb2 = Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\WolfieeeStyle\Desktop\Hot Stocks\H2.xlsb")
    Dim Ws1 As Worksheet, Ws2 As Worksheet
    Set Ws1 = Wb1.Worksheets.Item(1)                                   ' First worksheet tab counting from the left
    Set Ws2 = Wb2.Worksheets.Item(2)                                   ' Second worksheet tab cunting from the left
    Dim Lr1 As Long, Lr2 As Long
    Let Lr1 = Ws1.Range("A" & Ws1.Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row       ' Dynamically getting the last row in worksheet referenced by  Ws1
    Let Lr2 = Ws2.Range("A" & Ws2.Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row       ' Dynamically getting the last row in worksheet referenced by  Ws2
    Dim rngSrch As Range: Set rngSrch = Ws2.Range("A2:A" & Lr2 & "")   ' The range that will be searched in
    Dim rngDta As Range: Set rngDta = Ws1.Range("B2:B" & Lr1 & "")     ' The range from which data will be looked for in rngSrch

Dim Cnt As Long  '    For  each  rngDta.Item(Cnt)
        For Cnt = Lr2 To 1 Step -1                                     ' We take  -ve  steps = we go backwards. This is important when deleteing things.  See: https://excelfox.com/forum/showthread.php/2345-Appendix-Thread-(-Codes-for-other-Threads-HTML-Tables-etc-)?p=12902&viewfull=1#post12902
        Dim MtchedCel As Variant
         Set MtchedCel = rngSrch.Find(what:=rngDta.Item(Cnt), After:=rngSrch.Item(1), LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=True)
            If Not MtchedCel Is Nothing Then ' Range.Find  would return nothing if it did not find a match
                  ' If it was  Not  Nothing  then there was a match. So we do nothing
            Else  ' The attempt at a match failed, we got  Nothing  this is the condition to delete
             rngDta.Rows(Cnt).EntireRow.Delete Shift:=xlUp             ' The row is deleted , and so we have a space which is filled by shifting all rows in the worksheet  Up
            End If

Next Cnt             ' Next  rngDta.Item(Cnt)
     Wb1.Close SaveChanges:=True                                       ' Save the file and close it
     Wb2.Close SaveChanges:=True                                       ' Save the file and close it
    End Sub

When I run the macro it does the following:

It considers values in Ws1 column B , ( that is the data range, rngData )
    If it finds that value in Ws2 column A , then it does nothing
    If it does not find that value, then it deletes that row in Ws1

With your data, it does not find ADANIPORTS or ADANIENT or ACC , so those data rows in Ws1 are deleted.

Looking at your Output worksheet, it would appear that you should be deleting many more rows in Ws1

I have tried to look back through the chaos of duplicated cross postings that you have done to try and geuss what you want….

The last macro I gave you is looping through the data in Ws1 using this code line
    For Cnt = Lr2 To 1 Step -1
    Most of the last macros you posted here and elsewhere were doing that……….
    That is going to only loop through the data in Ws1 up to 36 ( because Lr2 is 36 )
    I will take a guess that you want to loop through all the data in Ws1 , because I can see no reason why you should loop through just some of your data.

My guess is that you should be doing this
    For Cnt = Lr1 To 2 Step -1

So

Try this next macro version:……
    https://excelfox.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post14636

So finally what this macro is doing. In English:
    Data values in Ws1 , (first worksheet in "1(sample).xls") column B , are looked for ( attempted to be matched ) to the column A range in Ws2 ( second worksheet in "H2(SAMPLE).xlsx")
    If a match is found, then nothing is done. If a match was not found, then the entire row containing the data value in Ws1 is deleted
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 07-18-2020 at 12:23 AM.
    ….If you are my competitor, I will try all I can to beat you. But if I do, I will not belittle you. I will Salute you, because without you, I am nothing.
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Problem Solved
    Awesome Doc Sir
    Thnx Alot for helping me in solving this Problem Sir
    Have a Awesome Day

Hi Experts,
    If column A of H2.xlsx matches with column B of 1.xls then delete that entire row by vba
    macro will be placed in macro.xlsm and files can be located anywhere in the pc so hardcoded the path so that i can change it as per my needs

Thnx for the Help

sample file attached below
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 07-18-2020 at 01:24 AM.

Your description is bad.
    You have not said what worksheets are to be considered. It appears to be the second worksheet in "H2(SAMPLE).xlsx" and the first worksheet in "1(sample).xls"

So your last question I answered for you this morning was… , in English :
    _ Sub Step3b() https://excelfox.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post14636
    Data values in Ws1 , (first worksheet in "1(sample).xls") column B , are looked for ( attempted to be matched ) to the column A range in Ws2 ( second worksheet in "H2(SAMPLE).xlsx")
    If a match is found, then nothing is done. If a match was not found, then the entire row containing the data value in Ws1 is deleted

Now, the question here is….
    If a match is not found, then nothing is done. If a match is found, then the entire row containing the data value in Ws1 is deleted

It is sometime very hard to believe that you are incapable of figuring out the changes for yourself!
    If you had left the ' comments on my macro then the changes would have been obvious

Previous macro,
    Sub STEP3b() If a match is found, then nothing is done. If a match was not found, then the entire row containing the data value in Ws1 is deleted
    Code:
            If Not MtchedCel Is Nothing Then ' Range.Find  would return nothing if it did not find a match
                  ' If it was  Not  Nothing  then there was a match. So we do nothing
            Else  ' The attempt at a match failed, we got  Nothing  this is the condition to delete
             rngDta.Rows(Cnt).EntireRow.Delete Shift:=xlUp             ' The row is deleted , and so we have a space which is filled by shifting all rows in the worksheet  Up
            End If

New Macro for If a match is not found, then nothing is done. If a match is found, then the entire row containing the data value in Ws1 is deleted
    Code:
            If Not MtchedCel Is Nothing Then ' Range.Find  would return nothing if it did not find a match.  Not  Nothing is the condituion of a match, the condition to delete the row
            Else  ' The attempt at a match failed, we got  Nothing  this is the condition to do nothing
            ' If it was   Nothing  then there was not a match. So we do nothing
            End If

Or

Code:
            If MtchedCel Is Nothing Then  ' Range.Find  would return nothing if it did not find a match.    Nothing is the condituion of no match, the condition to do nothing
             ' If a match is not found, then nothing is done
            Else  ' The attempt at a match was succesful, we got  a match, the condition to delete the row
            End If

Full macros here:
    https://excelfox.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post14641

Alan
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Thnx Alot Doc Sir for helping me in solving this problem
    Problem Solved
    Have a Awesome Day

From next Time, i will try to provide as much info as much i can provide

Problem 1 is very simple. You must have done this already hundreds of time! There is only one very important thing to remember: When looping to delete things, you must always loop backwards : https://excelfox.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post12902

Before:
    _____ Workbook: ABC-PROBLEM1.xls ( Using Excel 2007 32 bit )
    Row\Col A B C D E F G H I J K
    1 Exchange Symbol Series/Expiry Open High Low Prev Close LTP
    2 NSE ACC EQ
    BUY
    3 NSE ADANIENT EQ
    BUY
    4 NSE ADANIPORTS EQ
    BUY
    Worksheet: 1-Sheet1

Run macro:
    Code:
    Sub DeleteRowifHighequalsLow_2() ' Problem 1   https://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/1321862-delete-entire-row-by-vba.html   https://excelfox.com/forum/showthread.php/2582-delete-entire-row-by-vbA
    Rem 1 Worksheet info
    Dim WbABC As Workbook, WsABC As Worksheet
     Set WbABC = Workbooks.Open(ThisWorkbook.path & "\ABC-PROBLEM1.xls")
     Set WsABC = WbABC.Worksheets.Item(1)
    Dim LrABC As Long: Let LrABC = WsABC.Range("E" & WsABC.Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row  '   Make Lr dynamic    https://excelfox.com/forum/showthread.php/2345-Appendix-Thread-(-Codes-for-other-Threads-HTML-Tables-etc-)?p=11466&viewfull=1#post11466
    Dim arrABC() As Variant
     Let arrABC() = WsABC.Range("A1:K" & LrABC & "").Value
    Dim Cnt As Long
        For Cnt = LrABC To 2 Step -1   '      When looping to delete things, you must always loop backwards :   https://excelfox.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post12902  
            If arrABC(Cnt, 5) = arrABC(Cnt, 6) Then
             WsABC.Rows(Cnt).EntireRow.Delete Shift:=xlUp             ' The row is deleted , and so we have a space which is filled by shifting all rows in the worksheet  Up
            Else

End If
        Next Cnt
    End Sub
    After:
    _____ Workbook: ABC-PROBLEM1.xls ( Using Excel 2007 32 bit )
    2 NSE ACC EQ
    BUY
    3 NSE ADANIENT EQ
    BUY
    Worksheet: 1-Sheet1

Problem 2
    See next post
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 07-18-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Problem 2

From last post
    Problem 2
    You have not given me an After, and once again the explanation is bad. - you did not yet answer maniacb at excelforum.... https://www.excelforum.com/excel-pro...ml#post5365612

I will have to assume that this:
    If column B of DEF.xlsx matches with Column I of ABC.xls then delete that entire row
    Is supposed to mean this
    If column B of DEF.xlsx matches with Column I of ABC.xls then delete that entire row of ABC.xls
    In other words, something we have done many times already….
    We consider the data in column I of ABC.xls from row 2. We try to find ( match ) that data to any row of data in column B of DEF.xlsx
    If we do have a match then we delete the entire row containing the considered data from Column I of ABC.xls

I will do the first solution, Problem2a) slightly differently ,because I am getting bored answering almost the same question over and over again…
    I am using vba arrays because for your values work that is the best approach in Excel ( https://excelfox.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post14628 )
    I do not delete rows, so I do no backward looping
    Instead I collect indices of the rows I want to have = rows which are not deleted. For you test data, the rows I want are 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 ( rows 2 and 3 ) are not wanted – you want to delete them )
    Finally the macro replaces the original range with a new one containing just the rows you want

I also did a more conventional solution Problem2b like the ones you have seen a lot of in the last few days. It deletes the rows ( rows 2 and 3 )

Before
    _____ Workbook: DEF PROBLEM 2.xlsx ( Using Excel 2007 32 bit )
    1 NSE 22 6 > 12755 A GTT
    2 NSE 25 6 < 13448 A GTT
    Worksheet: DEF

_____ Workbook: ABC.xls ( Using Excel 2007 32 bit )
    2 NSE ACC EQ 1265 1282.7 1246.5 1275.3 1247 22 BUY 14104.65
    3 NSE ADANIENT EQ 151.85 165.45 151.4 151.85 152.35 25 BUY 3235.03
    4 NSE ADANIPORTS EQ 348 348 348 346.55 338.85 15083 BUY 3539.747
    5 NSE APOLLOHOSP EQ 1359 1391 1339 1355.65 1346.8 157 BUY 2994.65
    6 NSE APOLLOPIPE EQ 351.95 351.95 340 350.8 347.2 14361 BUY 4339.566
    7 NSE ASHOKLEY EQ 52.1 52.35 51 52.7 51 212 BUY 7051.82
    8 NSE AUROPHARMA EQ 789 805.45 775.35 796.95 782.4 275 BUY 3608.73
    9 NSE AXISBANK EQ 426.5 435.55 408.7 427.45 413.5 5900 BUY 255575.45
    Worksheet: 1-Sheet1 Problem 2

After
    _____ Workbook: ABC.xls ( Using Excel 2007 32 bit )
    2 NSE ADANIPORTS EQ 348 348 348 346.55 338.85 15083 BUY 3539.747
    3 NSE APOLLOHOSP EQ 1359 1391 1339 1355.65 1346.8 157 BUY 2994.65
    4 NSE APOLLOPIPE EQ 351.95 351.95 340 350.8 347.2 14361 BUY 4339.566
    5 NSE ASHOKLEY EQ 52.1 52.35 51 52.7 51 212 BUY 7051.82
    6 NSE AUROPHARMA EQ 789 805.45 775.35 796.95 782.4 275 BUY 3608.73
    7 NSE AXISBANK EQ 426.5 435.55 408.7 427.45 413.5 5900 BUY 255575.45
    Worksheet: 1-Sheet1 Problem 2

Macros
    Here 2a
    https://excelfox.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post14645
    Or
    Here 2b
    https://excelfox.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post14646
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 07-18-2020 at 04:06 PM.
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!