Thread: UDF that can change values in cells other than the cell in which the UDF is used

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuhrer, Vierte Reich DocAElstein's Avatar
    I forgot about this Blog tip thread for a while. …

The reason for that was that I answered a few threads, where someone asked for help because something was not doing what they wanted, and the reason for that was that they were trying to get a UDF to change the value of another cell, or something very similar.
    My solution seemed to work. Sometimes the OP seemed happy. But more often than not, I got a lot of hate from some senior member, “expert Guru”, Moderator, or similar, insisting that a UDF cannot change the value of any cell other than the one it is in.

It’s about 2 years later now. Maybe it’s safe to post something about it again.
    In the meantime, I still don’t have any newer versions of Office/ Excel, so maybe I will post a very simple example, and ask people to test it for me on newer versions. I won’t present it as "a UDF that can change the value of another cell, other than the one the UDF is in".

See how it goes.

I made a much simplified sample file, as enclosed …… This is what I would like you to try for me please:
    Download and open the uploaded file, then
    enable macros and then
    type anything in cell A1, then tell me what happens.

_.________________________________________________ ______________________________
    EDIT: Or, alternatively, if you prefer not to risk downloading the file
    Please do this
    In a new virgin File, insert a normal code module and put this coding in it

Code:
    Option Explicit
    Function WotsThereWhere(ByVal Rng As Range) As String
     Evaluate "='" & ThisWorkbook.Path & "\TryThisPlease.xls'!Modul1.YouNameIt(" & Rng.Address & ", """ & ActiveSheet.Name & """)"          '    Evaluate "=YouNameIt(" & Rng.Address & ", """ & ActiveSheet.Name & """)"    '    : Debug.Print "=YouNameIt(" & Rng.Address & ", """ & ActiveSheet.Name & """)"    '  gives   YouNameIt($A$1, "Sheet1")
    End Function
    Sub YouNameIt(ByVal Rng As Range, ByVal Sht As String)
    Stop  '  It wont
     Let Rng.Offset(0, 2).Value = ""
     Let Rng.Offset(0, 2).Value = "You wrote " & Rng.Value & " in cell " & Rng.Address(0, 0) & ",  in worksheet " & Sht
    End Sub
    The first function can be simplified if relying on defaults
    Code:
    Function WotsThereWhere(ByVal Rng As Range) As String
    ' Evaluate "='" & ThisWorkbook.Path & "\TryThisPlease.xls'!Modul1.YouNameIt(" & Rng.Address & ", """ & ActiveSheet.Name & """)"          '    Evaluate "=YouNameIt(" & Rng.Address & ", """ & ActiveSheet.Name & """)"    '    : Debug.Print "=YouNameIt(" & Rng.Address & ", """ & ActiveSheet.Name & """)"    '  gives   YouNameIt($A$1, "Sheet1")
     Evaluate "YouNameIt($A$1, ""Sheet1"")"  ' Shortened version relying on default
    End Function

Feedback so far

http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtop...ff4995#p280303

Any Other Threads doing something similar

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...nal-formatting
    https://www.mrexcel.com/board/thread...a-udf.1154593/
    https://www.eileenslounge.com/viewto...300091#p300091
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 10-23-2022 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Theads doing something similar links added