Thread: Get Pictures from Word Documents in All Sub Folders

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuhrer, Vierte Reich DocAElstein's Avatar
    Hi prkhan56
    Welcome to ExcelFox

I am sorry you have had no reply.
    We don’ t have many Word experts popping by excelfox much these days.

I don’t know much about Word VBA, and have never done anything with images so I don’t really understand what is wanted here. I don’t see the relation to images , pictures , “moving images”.

I have manipulated Word files with some VBA code working from Excel. Sometime my files were saved as extension type .htm – those files were normal word files with a lot of text and tables in them and the coding handled them the same as any files of extension type .doc or .docx or .docm

So I am not really so well qualified to help on what you want, but I will have a go…..

I took a look at your macro , Sub GetPicturesFromWordDocument() ,
    I have rewritten, or rather just re arranged slightly the macro and made some minor changes as I went along and added some 'comments . I did this to help me understand what is going on.
    ( Here is my version: https://excelfox.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post15614 )

Here is a walk through my version:
    For the sake of explanation, let me assume that when you run this macro you have a Word document open , which is active, and it has the name MyDoc.doc

The macro stores the current active document name ( but without the extension type) in strDocumentName. So if the active document was MyDoc.doc , then strDocumentName will have MyDoc in it.
    We also store the path to the current active document in strPath
    The macro seems to save the active document under its existing name, at the existing place, but with the extension type changed to .htm , so you would have then the active document, if it was MyDoc.doc now saved as MyDoc.htm - …. It is not clear to me why that is being done??

The macro makes a folder, MovedToHere in the same place as where the current active document is. I have slightly modified this code line, to prevent it erroring if the folder already exists: It only makes the folder if the folder does not exist. – The reason why I did this is because, if you try to make a folder when it already exists, then that would chuck up an error

__ The main outer loop === is doing the following:
    It is looping 4 times, going through all your file extension types, .png .jpeg .jpg and .bmp. ( The loop control variable, lngLoop , is going from 0 To 3 )
    __ For each file extension type it is looking for files which are in a folder which, using the same example, would have a name like MyDoc_files . That folder is looked for at the same path as the current active document.
    So for example, the first run of the loop (lngLoop = 0 ) , is looking for files of the extension type .png in that folder
    ____ The purpose of the Do While __ Loop _ loop is to keep going while you still find files of the extension type currently being looked for. ( The use of Dir on its own, without any bracket ( ) , stuff tells VBA to look again for the next file of the same type and in the same place that it looked the last time )
    ____ Each of the files you find gets copied to folder, MovedToHere , and has its name modified a bit to have the text "New " added at the start, like for example, Filex.png would become New Filex.png ( Note: actually we are not really copying – we are moving – the original file gets effectively deleted )

Once we have finished doing all that copying, we close the current active document. It is not clear to me why that is being done. In particular it’s not clear to me why it is done at this point. We could have closed it immediately after we created it, since we have done nothing with it since creating it

We now open the original file we had open at the start of running the macro. Its not clear to me why we do that, other than maybe to get back to having the same file open and active that we had when we started running the macro.

Now we go on to killing ( deleting ) a few things.
    The code line Kill strPath & "" & strDocumentName & ".htm*" does not error for me. I can not see why it should, since it is trying to delete all files of the extension type .htm , html etc. in the folder where we made like our MyDoc.htm
    Since we should have at least that one file there, MyDoc.htm , then that at least should be there to be deleted. ( The code line would error if there are no files of the type .htm , html etc. there: Kill will error if it can’t find files of the type you are trying to kill )
    The next code line, Kill strPath & "" & strDocumentName & "_files\*.*" could error , if, for example, you had only had files of the type .png .jpeg .jpg or .bmp originally in that folder with the name like MyDoc_files . The reason for that is because the VBA Name statement renames a file, in other words it moves , or in other words it copies the file to somewhere and then deletes the original. So effectively it will be removing all files of the type .png .jpeg .jpg or .bmp from that folder.
    So I have modified that code line so that it only tries to delete files if there are any files there to delete.
    I expect the reason the code line is there is so that the next code line works. – This next code line, RmDir strPath & "" & strDocumentName & "_files" , tries to delete the original folder, and that code line would error if any files were in that folder.

The last few lines are not needed in VBA. Those code lines were considered good practice in programming earlier, I think. Possibly they may have sometimes been needed previously. I am not sure.

I am not sure if I can help much further, since I cannot reproduce your error. The macro version of mine ( Here: https://excelfox.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post15614 ) does not error, but I may have missed something due to my lack of experience with Word VBA.
    Quote Originally Posted by prkhan56 View Post
    I want to fix this code ...... Can someone fix this issue ...
    I cant fix the code for you , because I cannot see the problem with it. But I am also not 100% sure of why some things are being done in the macro.

Quote Originally Posted by prkhan56 View Post
    .....and also amend to run on all the sub folders.....
    I don’t think you can amend a macro like this one to do that. The reason for me saying that is that the main process we are using to look at, and get at files, is the Dir function, and in particular the code line of Dir within a loop. This restricts us to one “folder level”.
    We are using a fairly simple macro, like the one you are using.
    Its this sort of thing: https://excelfox.com/forum/showthrea...ull=1#post6175
    To look at sub folders we would usually use a different macro type, one which uses recursion. This sort of thing:
    https://excelfox.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post10420
    https://excelfox.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post10421
    https://excelfox.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post10422

As you can see, that is a rather complex thing. Depending on your knowledge of VBA, that could be a rather time consuming thing to get across to you, especially as we don’t have the simpler issue fixed of why you are getting the error in the simpler macro

I expect it could take me a long time to help you further. I am busy all this week, and could take another look for you next week.

Alternatively you might want to try one of the other forums where a lot more people usually are, and certainly more people clued up on Word VBA
    Here a couple of places :
    https://www.excelforum.com/word-programming-vba-macros/
    http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewforum.php?f=26

Please note that most forums have what they call a “cross posting rule”. This means that you should tell everyone everywhere about where else you have posted the same question.
    So for example you should pass on these URL link to your questions here
    https://excelfox.com/forum/showthread.php/2760-Get-Pictures-from-Word-Documents-in-All-Sub-Folders?p=15605#post15605
    https://excelfox.com/forum/showthread.php/2761-Get-Pictures-from-Word-Documents-in-All-Sub-Folders?p=15613#post15613

One last tip here: If you are posting for the first time at some forums then a spam filter may sometimes prevent you posting those links. To get over that you need to disguise them when posting. You could add some spaces like this
    h t t p s:/ /excelfox . com/forum/showthread.php/2760-Get-Pictures-from-Word-Documents-in-All-Sub-Folders?p=15605#post15605
    h t t p s:/ /excelfox . com/forum/showthread.php/2761-Get-Pictures-from-Word-Documents-in-All-Sub-Folders?p=15613#post15613

Or alternatively try fooling the filter by posting using some BB code for black color to disguise the link – that way the filter does not see the link, but it comes out in the final post as you want it. So you would post this:
    htt[color=Black]p[/color]s:[color=Black]/[/color]/excelfox[color=Black].c[/color]om/forum/showthread.php/2760-Get-Pictures-from-Word-Documents-in-All-Sub-Folders?p=15605#post15605
    htt[color=Black]p[/color]s:/[color=Black]/[/color]excelfox[color=Black].c[/color]om/forum/showthread.php/2761-Get-Pictures-from-Word-Documents-in-All-Sub-Folders?p=15613#post15613

Hope that is some help for you. If you have not got the problem solved by next week , then if you post again here and fill us in on what you have done in the meantime, then I will have another try for you..

Alan
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 08-26-2021 at 11:54 AM.
    ….If you are my competitor, I will try all I can to beat you. But if I do, I will not belittle you. I will Salute you, because without you, I am nothing.
    If you are my enemy, we will try to kick the fucking shit out of you…..
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!